Staff Scientist, Computer VisionApply Business Unit United Technologies Research Center Req ID 50046BR Date posted 06/05/2017 City East Hartford State Connecticut Country United States
The candidate will work under the aegis of the Decision Support and Machine Intelligence Group, part of UTRC’s Systems Department. The group takes on cutting edge challenges in machine learning, deep learning, data mining, and human computer interaction. A broad array of business challenges include autonomous flight, security access and surveillance systems, people transport, analytics of jet engine data, human in the loop adaptive learning and the reduction of building energy usage through monitoring and diagnostics. We’re looking for people eager to find new ways to extract value through the integration of new and existing data sources with cutting edge analysis and tools.
Successful candidates must have the ability to perform the following functions:
- Research, design and prototype novel analytics algorithms and models by utilizing multiple sensors for visual inspection with deep working knowledge in statistical machine learning methods and deep neural networks.
- Demonstrable research experience on computer vision tasks such as object classification and localization, action/activity recognition, scene understanding, object tracking and/or multimodal fusion
-Create strategic roadmaps in the aforementioned domains
- Demonstrate expertise in mentoring and supervision of the development of video analytics solutions
- Demonstrate the ability to initiate, lead, and execute funding opportunities in both internal and external R&D.
- Keep abreast of the latest developments in the field by continuous learning and proactively champion new ideas and new problem definitions.
The candidate must be able to work effectively in a multidisciplinary, multinational team environment focused on innovation and be able to partner with leading, worldwide institutions (university, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations) to meet organizational objectives. The candidate will have exceptional communication skills and must be able to provide timely, accurate and detailed reports, presentations and technical papers for archival journals.
Individual will be a proactive, highly motivated self-starter and customer advocate with proven capability in working with teams of designers and developers, and possessing:
- Publication track record in top-tier peer-reviewed conferences and/or journals
- Proficiency in C/C++, Python, and/or Matlab
- Familiarity with deep learning tools including Theano, Torch, Caffe and/or TensorFlow
- Excellent customer communication skills
- Excellent customer-focused work ethic
- Ability to effectively work with internal & external customers
- Good presentation skills
- Clear, concise writing skills
- Ability to work effectively in fast-paced, team environment
- Ability to work independently and work with limited direction to accomplish project goals
This role does require US green-card or US citizenship.
- Required: M.S. in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or a related field with 4-7 years of industry experience.
- Preferred: Ph.D. in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, or related engineering field with at least 4 years of industry experience
- Additional skills in statistics, machine learning, distributed computation and programming would be a plus. Experience in proposal writing is highly desirable.
Award-winning innovation starts here.
Discover why our breakthrough eco-friendly technologies are receiving industry recognition.More
85 years old – and still as curious as ever.
Find out more about our recent 85th anniversary, and how we’ve grown over the years.More
Training that makes headlines.
Find out what Forbes had to say about our Employee Scholar ProgramMore