UTRCI Research Scientist, Cyber-physical Systems Security
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) delivers advanced technologies to the businesses of United Technologies Corporation (UTC). UTC is a diversified company that provides a broad range of high-technology products and services to the global aerospace and building systems industries. Its commercial business -- UTC Building & Industrial Systems -- comprises Otis elevators and escalators as well as UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems, and building automation and controls. The company's aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems.
UTRC partners with UTC business units and external research organizations to expand the boundaries of science and technology through research and innovation, delivering technology options that meet and anticipate the needs of the marketplace. Founded in 1929, UTRC is located in East Hartford, Connecticut (U.S.), with an office in Berkeley, California, and research and development centers in Rome, Italy, Shanghai, China, and Cork, Ireland.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI) is UTRC's European research hub, created to fully leverage a global network of innovation. UTRCI works with universities, research institutes, and industry throughout Europe and beyond to further its research and development mission. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com.
UTRCI seeks candidates with expertise in cyber-physical systems security to join their Networks & Embedded Systems group in Cork, Ireland. A key challenge in cyber-physical system design is eliminating or mitigating the real-world impact of cybersecurity threats in applications such as aircraft systems, smart buildings, and critical infrastructure. Successful candidates are expected to develop and apply cyber security and cyber-physical security capabilities across the full range of UTC products and services by:
- Applying risk assessment methodologies and identifying attack scenarios within distributed cyber-physical systems
- Assessing vulnerabilities and developing countermeasures for emerging products and services through instrumentation, data analytics, impact assessment, and resilient control.
- Implementing industry best practices and addressing gaps in state of the art cyber-physical security methodologies.
The successful candidate will:
- Contribute to an established research agenda related to UTC's aerospace and building & industrial systems technologies.
- Coordinate and execute R&D activities within international cyber-security research projects.
- Provide competitive advantage for UTC business units as part of a multidisciplinary and international team of experts.
- Contribute towards technical strategy and business development.
A PhD in Computer Science, Electrical or Computer Engineering, with 0-2+ years of industrial or academic experience, or a master's degree with 2-5+ years of industrial or academic experience.
The ideal candidate will have excellent experience in several of the following areas:
- Research and development of cyber security applied to cyber-physical systems, including risk assessment, identifying and demonstrating vulnerabilities, countermeasures, intrusion detection and forensics.
- Experience in applying formal techniques for reasoning over security policies, attack models, and system architectures, across both the physical and cyber domains.
- Good knowledge of cyber-physical systems, wireless sensor networks, and embedded systems.
- Technical contributions, including patents and publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences, and successful proposals for external funding/contracts/grants.
- Innovative strategic and technical thinking applied to real-world problems.
The ideal candidate is:
- A self-starter with an entrepreneurial attitude towards innovation.
- Able to partner with universities, government agencies, national labs, and professional organizations to meet organizational objectives within time and budget constraints.
- Well-organized and has excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills to work in international teams.
- Able to adapt to new challenges and go beyond the original field of expertise.
- Willing to champion and challenge new technical ideas.
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. At UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
UTRCI will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package to the successful candidate.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: http://www.utrc.utc.com/ by selecting Careers on top left hand corner and then selecting "SEARCH NON-US JOBS". This brings you to the UTC Aerospace Systems page, select "Ireland" under country tab on your left hand side. This will display all open positions at UTRC Ireland.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
% Travel Required: < 10%
Please note your application form may be reviewed by staff members within the United Technologies Corporation Group at their business locations in America, China and Europe. If you do not consent to this please notify us at the application stage or if during the interview process you change your mind, please notify us and we will obtain the information which has been shared with our global offices.