UTRCI Research Scientist, Constraint Programming and OptimizationApply Business Unit United Technologies Research Center Req ID 40461 Date posted 05/11/2018 City Cork State Munster Country Ireland
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) is the corporate research center of United Technologies Corporation (UTC), a dynamic global Fortune top 50 corporation operating at the leading edge of commercial and military aviation, aerospace systems, climate control, elevator design, and security and fire protection. United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI), established in 2009, conducts research into the next generation of energy, security and vertical transportation systems for high-performance buildings, as well as aerospace systems research to support UTC's large industrial presence in Europe. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office. A competitive compensation and benefits package will be provided to the successful candidate.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com
UTRCI seeks candidates with Constraint Programming, Artificial Intelligence and Optimization expertise to work as part of multidisciplinary teams on developing and inserting advanced reasoning capabilities into a range of UTC technologies, with direct impact on the capabilities of our products, satisfaction of our customers and the competitive advantage of our business units.
Besides technical excellence, the ideal candidate will be passionate about improving the lives of our customers through innovative products, will work well as part of international teams, will be extremely well-organized and would have excellent communication skills.
A minimum of a doctoral degree in Computer Science, Artificial Intelligence, Operations Research, Industrial or Computer Engineering, or a master's degree with 2 or more years of industrial or academic experience in a relevant field. In addition, demonstrated experience within industry or academia for 5 years is highly desirable for applicants holding a master's degree, and postdoctoral research experience is desired for doctoral degree holders.
The ideal candidate will have experience in the following areas:
- Expert knowledge in Constraint Programming (CP) with strong background in Satisfiability Solving (SAT) and Mixed Integer Linear Programming (MILP).
- Strong experience in modelling and solving real-world problems with deep understanding of the CP modelling constructs and solid grasp of modelling using MILP and SAT frameworks.
- Deep understanding of the reasoning mechanisms behind the CP solvers, with solid grasp of the inner workings of SAT and MILP solvers.
- Bias towards experimenting and implementation with strong algorithm design skills.
- Preferred software skills: C#, Python, Java, C/C++ and familiarity with relevant automated reasoning engines and libraries, such as Google or-tools, Choco, Gecode, Cplex etc.
- Preferred experience with software development tools and practices, including experience with version control, unit testing, continuous integration and agile development practices.
- Preferred experience with statistical methods, machine learning and data analytics tools and best practices
- Record of technical contributions, including patents and publications in refereed technical journals and major conferences, and successful proposals for external funding/contracts/grants.
The successful candidate will work as part of a distributed multidisciplinary team, and will be expected to:
- Demonstrate technical excellence in research activities and creative thinking that leads to innovative concepts.
- Assist in developing proposals for externally-funded research (EU, National) and collaborating with external partners such as companies, national labs and universities.
- Demonstrate excellent communication skills and provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to the functional teams.
- Actively contribute concepts to technology roadmaps in areas related to constraint programming, optimization and artificial intelligence, helping expand the portfolio of technology maturation projects.
- Enjoy developing technologies from initial concepts through to validation in industrial-strength environments
- Have ability to adapt to new challenges and go beyond the original field of expertise.
- Some travel required.
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. As part of your daily job with UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. Candidates can apply online at: http://www.utrc.utc.com/ by selecting the "Job Postings (International)" option in the drop-down menu under "Careers".
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Award-winning innovation starts here.
Discover why our breakthrough eco-friendly technologies are receiving industry recognition.More
85 years old – and still as curious as ever.
Find out more about our recent 85th anniversary, and how we’ve grown over the years.More
Training that makes headlines.
Find out what Forbes had to say about our Employee Scholar ProgramMore