Senior Research Scientist - Power Electronics
United Technologies Research Center (UTRC) delivers advanced technologies to the businesses of United Technologies Corporation (UTC). UTC is a diversified company that provides a broad range of high-technology products and services to the global aerospace and building systems industries. Its commercial business -- UTC Building & Industrial Systems -- comprises Otis elevators and escalators as well as UTC Climate, Controls & Security, a leading provider of heating, ventilation, air conditioning, fire and security systems, and building automation and controls. The company's aerospace businesses include Pratt & Whitney and UTC Aerospace Systems.
UTRC partners with UTC business units and external research organizations to expand the boundaries of science and technology through research and innovation, delivering technology options that meet and anticipate the needs of the marketplace. Founded in 1929, UTRC is located in East Hartford, Connecticut (U.S.), with an office in Berkeley, California, and research and development centers in Rome, Italy, Shanghai, China, and Cork, Ireland.
United Technologies Research Centre Ireland, Ltd. (UTRCI) is UTRC's European research hub, created to fully leverage a global network of innovation. UTRCI works with universities, research institutes, and industry throughout Europe and beyond to further its research and development mission. UTRCI invites qualified individuals to apply for the following position in its Cork office.
Learn more @ www.utrc.utc.com.
UTRCI seeks candidates with expertise in developing and delivering creative, integrated solutions in design and control of power electronics systems. The successful candidate will join the Power Electronics team at UTRC-Ireland. The team develops, in close collaboration with UTC business units, new technologies in the field of power electronics and motor drives applied to aircraft, elevators and refrigeration systems. Current areas of focus include Design of lightweight and compact power converters and drives,
control of power converters, drives and actuators, and modelling and design of electrical power distribution architectures.
The ideal candidate is a self-starter who works well in an international teaming environment, is extremely well-organized and has excellent interpersonal, leadership and communication skills. Besides technical excellence, an entrepreneurial attitude towards innovation is essential.
A minimum of a doctoral degree in Electrical Engineering with 0-2+ years of industrial or academic experience or a master's degree with 2-5+ years of industrial or academic experience in a field relevant to the design and operation of power electronics.
* Expert knowledge in at least one of the following:
(1) High power density power electronics converter design, including use of wide bandgap devices.
(2) Modelling, analysis and design of power electronics-based distribution systems with energy storage.
(3) Control of motor-drive systems and implementation in digital control platform (DSP, FPGA).
(4) High-voltage (1 to 5 kV-class) power converter design (e.g. multi-level converters)
(5) EMI analysis and filter design, including design of magnetic components.
An applied background in more electric aircraft or elevator systems is a plus.
Software skills preferred: MATLAB/Simulink, PSIM, PSICE/LTSPICE, Saber, FGPA/DSP programming, PCB design tools (Altium, Cadence).
The successful candidate will work as part of a multidisciplinary and cooperative team, and will be expected to:
(1) Develop and execute technology research plans to successfully achieve desired technical outcomes within time and budget constraints.
(2) Demonstrate technical excellence in research activities and creative thinking that leads to innovative concepts.
(3) Assist in developing proposals for externally-funded research in the area of power electronics and electrical machines, and collaborating with external partners such as companies, national labs and universities.
(4) Demonstrate excellent communication skills and provide timely, accurate reports and presentations to senior management and functional teams.
(5) Actively contribute concepts to technology roadmaps in areas related to power electronics technologies applied to aerospace and industrial systems, helping expand the portfolio of technology maturation projects.
(6) Enjoy working in the lab, implementing and testing control strategies, as well as designing and testing hardware prototypes and becoming confident to be able to work without direct guidance.
(7) To become responsible for several components on a project or a complex component of a larger project.
What we offer
Employees at UTRC-I enjoy a multi-cultural and multi-disciplinary team-based working environment. At UTRC you will be able to actively collaborate with national and international universities, work with research teams from other UTRC research centers around the globe, bring your ideas to life through our innovation pipeline process and work in many diverse technical domains ranging from building automation to aerospace.
UTRCI will provide a competitive compensation and benefits package to the successful candidate.
This position is based at UTRC's European hub in Cork, Ireland. To be eligible to apply, candidates must be legally entitled to work and reside in Ireland.
Candidates can apply online at: http://www.utrc.utc.com/ by selecting Careers on top left hand corner and then selecting "SEARCH NON-US JOBS". This brings you to the UTC Aerospace Systems page, select "Ireland" under country tab on your left hand side. This will display all open positions at UTRC Ireland.
United Technologies Corporation is An Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability or protected veteran status.
Please note your application form may be reviewed by staff members within the United Technologies Corporation Group at their business locations in America, China and Europe. If you do not consent to this please notify us at the application stage or if during the interview process you change your mind, please notify us and we will obtain the information which has been shared with our global offices.